Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Borscht Journey

Upon receiving beets in a food box about seven years ago, I made a huge pot of borscht for myself and my roommates (Beth, Kate, and Robyn).  It was gross - too sweet, with a soggy texture.  No one ate it.  I froze it.  It remained in the freezer for years.  Beth was the last one to move out and threw it in the garbage on moving day.

Later, my dad discovered and shared Canadian Living's Ruby Red Borscht recipe.  A borscht breakthrough.  It was one of the few recipes I brought with me when Ben and I lived in Cardiff, Wales for a year (2006/07).

One evening in Cardiff, I made it for our friends Tim and Jo.  Tim teased us (because he likes to do that) - Canadian friends making a German dish (it's actually Ukrainian) for British friends.  Jo loved it, requested the recipe, and continues to make it to this day.

And here is that recipe:

Ruby Red Borscht (Canadian Living)

4 small beets with tops (I sometimes make it without the tops)
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 small stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green beans
6 cups chicken or veggie stalk
1/4 cup ketchup or tomato juice
1/4 cup sour cream + extra for serving
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice
pinch pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill + extra dill sprigs
  • Cut off beet greens and stems.  Shred greens and set aside.  Peel and chop beets.  Chop stems. 
  • In large soup pot, combine beets and stems, cabbage, onion, potato, carrot, celery and green beans. 
  • Pour in stock and ketchup; bring to boil.  Cover and simmer until veggies are tender-crisp (about 40 mins).
  • In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, flour, lemon juice and pepper.  Stir into soup.
  • Stir in beet greens; cook for 15 more mins. 
  • Stir in chopped dill.
  • Garnish each bowl with sour cream and dill sprigs.
   Mary Mary

No comments: