Sunday, August 28, 2011

Zucchini Season

I failed at growing zucchini this year.  This says a lot! Zucchini is one of those crops that can easily get away from you.  Last year, I went away for a week and when I returned, some zucchinis were as large as my arm.  In Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle she says that in the country, the only reason people lock their doors is to keep neighbours from leaving zucchinis at their houses.

Here is a recipe that Cole and I made this morning for Zucchini Loaf:

3 eggs
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar
1 medium zucchini and 2 peeled apples pureed in food processor

Mix with dry ingredients:
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
1 cup walnuts
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1/3 cup oat bran

Bake at 350 F for 1 hour.  Makes 2 loaves. 

- Miss Greenish Thumb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe Melissa! I could possibly be one of those zucchini-leaving neighbours if we were closer :) I've also used this for brownies (without the frosting, and less sugar) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Brownies/Detail.aspx

Beth