Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Harvest Happy: Jalapeno Peppers and Potatoes

Introducing our new feature: Harvest Happy!  We're going to regularly (Wednesdays) highlight fruits and veggies as they inspire us along the way - ones that are in season or that we find a nice recipe for or that we are particularly fond of for one reason or another.  Here goes... 

I planted one jalapeno plant about five years ago and that year I found myself harvesting a multitude of jalapeno peppers - more than I could figure out what to do with.  So every year since then, jalapenos have had a special spot in my gardening heart, because whatever small amount of love and devotion you give them, they give back tenfold.

Also, this year, my garlic patch failed to produce.  I planted at least 40 bulbs last fall and this summer I have nothing to show for it.  I consulted with a local farmer at the Farmer's Market.  She said that sometimes if nothing comes up one year, they may come up the following year.  Before consulting her, however, not wanting to see that garden space go to waste, I threw a few sprouting potatoes into the garden over the garlic.  I am so excited to dig them up and see my very first harvest of potatoes.

Here is Uncle Kev's awesome Jalapeno Potato Salad recipe:


4 lb s of potatoes cut into cubes (I wrote 4 large potatoes but that can't be right)
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c mayo
1/4 c dijon mustard
1/4 c green onions, finely chopped
1/4 c feta (I usually add more)
bacon pieces (cooked and drained and cooled)
4 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
  • Boil and drain potatoes. Cool 5-10 minutes.
  • In a bowl, combine mayo, mustard, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic.
  • Add potatoes, green onion, jalapenos, feta and bacon.
  • Mix and serve.
Bon Appetit - Miss Greenish Thumb

No comments: