Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Harvest Happy: Turnips

I know, while gardens are still abounding in variety, I choose to take note of a cold, dark root veg.  I should save turnips for the heart of winter, right?  Well, we received some turnips in our Ottawa Organics veg box this week and I was a bit stumped around what to do with them.

Then I found this tasty recipe on AllRecipes.com and it's delicious.  Maybe turnips are best disguised in soups, sitting among squash and carrots, flavoured with honey, coriander, and nutmeg.

Butternut Squash and Turnip Soup
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cupes cubed butternut squash
  • 2 cups cubed turnips
  • I added one carrot, sliced
  • 1 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3/8 tsp coriander
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt to taste
Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Stir in the butternut squash, turnips, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until veggies just begin to brown, about 10 minutes.  Add the chicken stock to a pot (the recipe said to heat the chicken stock before adding the veggies... but I didn't).
Add the veggies to stock, add bay leaf, honey, pepper, nutmeg, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt.  Simmer until all the vegetables are softened, about 20 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf before serving.  I puréed it too.

Mary Mary

1 comment:

wonder wilks said...

i didn't know what to do with those darn turnips either! i tried your recipe & it was wonderful! i think i ate 3/4 of it all myself! a lovely addition to the fall recipe repertoire! thanks maryann!