Sunday, October 30, 2011

Harvest Happy: Garlic

Is it getting cold? Is everything else dying outside? It is nearly Halloween? Then it's time to plant your garlic!

Ontario garlic is different from the stuff you find at your local grocery store. I've planted stuff from the grocery store before. But what I do now is visit the farmers at the market and ask if I can get a bunch small or sprouting garlic at a discounted price.

First, break each bulb apart into its individual cloves and then plant each one separately. They may sprout and then get covered in snow, but apparently this is the way it's supposed to go.

Next summer, you'll get a delicious harvest of garlic....ideally.  This year, for some reason, my garlic didn't produce.  I asked a lady at the local Farmer's Market what I was doing wrong.  She said sometimes nothing comes up the next year so you have to wait another year.  Strange, so we'll see if she was right.


Then you get to braid it and hang it up to dry. It goes fast at our house, so plant mucho, mucho garlic.

~Miss Greenish Thumb~

1 comment:

katevp-a said...

hey green lady!
plant me some too!