Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Harvest Happy: Tomatoes

Since tomato season began, I've been able to stay on top of the picking and eating of the lovely fresh tomato goodness.  Well, until now.  Last week we received tomatoes from our Ottawa Organics box, plus we had already accumulated a couple containers from our garden.  I could no longer keep up! 

I had to do something before they went bad, so I just puréed them with a hand blender and popped them in the freezer!  That's it, that's all.  When I make chili or tomato sauce, I'll just pop this frozen sauce in, add some spices, et voila, an easy peasy meal.

Mary Mary

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love it when you say stuff is "easy peasy". We have a basket of green tomatoes and we're wrapping them in newspaper for ripening. Mark volunteers at the Partnership West Food Bank and he learned this trick from them.