Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Harvest Happy: Return of the Pumpkin

Okay, my savoury pumpkin muffin recipe was exciting to me but perhaps not a great one to pass on.  So this weekend I pulled my bag of frozen pumpkin pieces out of the freezer, pureed them into pumpkin mush, and attempted another muffin recipe.  An Anita Stewart sweet pumpkin muffin recipe.  I had made it before.  This time I didn't have dried apricots so I went without, and I didn't make the sweet topping since I wanted Isaac to eat them.  I also halved the sugar and no one seemed to notice, not even Edem.

The recipe is from Anita Stewart's Canada, a beautiful cookbook I received from Kate a couple years ago. 


Here's the recipe:

Giant Pumpkin and Apricot Muffins with Sugary Nut Topping

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 c)
3 eggs
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup slivered dried apricots
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used good ol' 1/2 c milk with 1/2 Tbsp vinegar, that's sat for 5 minutes)

Topping:
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts or slivered almonds

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy.  Stir in the pumpkin, vanilla, almond extract, orange rind, and juice.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add it to the creamed mixture along with the apricots.  Stir in the buttermilk, mixing just until no dry spots remain.
Heap into 12 lined or oiled large muffin tins (I used 18 normal sized muffin tins).  Combine the brown sugar and nuts; sprinkle over the batter.
Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until deep golden brown and firm to the touch (mine were done in 25 minutes).  Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin pan.

Mary Mary

No comments: