Saturday, December 24, 2011

Golden Girls

Merry Christmas Eve!


I wanted to make some handmade dolls for three sweet baby girls in my life.  I had an idea of what I was looking for - Ben calls it "matryoshka" style. I looked at lovely felt versions online for inspiration then sketched some ideas.

I made stencils out of cardstock and paper and cut out all the little shapes.

Since I am a learning by mistakes sort of person, for my first attempt, I sewed the two sides together before I realized I hadn't sewed the face on first.   Oopsies.   Then, by mistake I put the face and "apron" on opposite sides.  Then, once it was all put together, I realized the neck was way too slender.
 

Amanda T was heartbroken that I wasn't going to use this lovely one, so I gave it to her for Christmas.  To a loving home. 

After making those mistakes, I was confident I had learned. I created the real three at the same time to be more efficient.  And they worked out just fine!

 

They're beauties.   I'm sad to separate them - they look so lovely together. 


Coming soon to a baby girl near you.

Mary Mary

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness. I giggled so hard after seeing the final three and then going back to see the poor misfit doll you made first. I am so honoured that one of those little triplets is coming to a baby girl near me. I think that the love in that doll with be with her forever. You are such a wonderful Auntie.
Love,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Oooo Mary, I LOVE them! I'm going to have to have a girl so you can make me one. ;)

syl

Ben and Maryann said...

Ha ha Sylvie. I'll have to think up a toy that Levi might like. Yes Melissa, the first attempt was a rough-go. Mary