Thursday, February 9, 2012

Butterfly Cupcakes

 My darling girl is going to turn 1 in March.
 In preparation, I thought I'd attempt some butterfly cupcakes.
I started with carrot cake muffins with cream cheese icing.
 Then I melted some dark chocolate wafers and white chocolate wafers in the microwave and put them into ziplock bags. And I snipped a corner so the chocolate would flow out. 
 I had drawn a template of a butterfly, which I lay under my parchment paper.

 I outlined the butterfly wings in dark chocolate and filled them with white chocolate.  Then I used a toothpick to make some swirls. 
At the end, I sprinkled the wings with a few colourful sprinkles.
 To prop the wings up, I used milk chocolate squares.
The step I skipped was making the butterfly's body out of dark chocolate icing or chocolate chips. 
Sources: Hello Cupcake!
and
http://ahomeandfamily.blogspot.com/2010/05/butterfly-cupcakes.html#!/2010/05/butterfly-cupcakes.html

~Miss Greenish Thumb~

2 comments:

Ben and Maryann said...

Wowza. These are amazing. Amelia's going to love them on her birthday. I realized why we associate butterflies with her - her soothers! Brilliant!
Mary Mary

Anonymous said...

wow! those ARE amazing. Very impressive, and seems pretty simple too! paving the way for emerging cake decorators everywhere :)
Beth