Monday, February 6, 2012

Butternut Squash Ravioli

 Our CSA veggie box has provided us with week after week of butternut squash and so, in an attempt to creatively use up some of these delicious fruit, I decided to make butternut squash ravioli using wonton wrappers (because making home made pasta without the proper pasta roller seemed like a daunting task).
 I roasted the squash and then mixed it with ricotta cheese and then pressed it through a sieve to get rid of the big chunks. Then I added some parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
 I got everything ready and laid out some parchment paper for easier clean-up.

 I gave up on trimming the ravioli into circles after the very first one and decided to just use a pizza cutter to trim off the corners, creating little octagons.
I froze them like this on the baking sheet and yes, some of them did stick together. I should have spread them out a bit more.

Then I boiled them and served them with brown butter, basil leaves, toasted pine nuts and parmesan.  They weren't super.  I think they needed a bit more pow. Perhaps they'd be good as a side next to a juicy sausage or something.

We went out for McDonald's afterwards. So I figured it wasn't worth posting the recipe because I wouldn't really recommend it. The wonton wrappers are far too flimsy  once they're cooked and the stuff inside went watery and mushy. I bet the same filling inside real pasta would be fantastic.

~Miss Greenish Thumb~

1 comment:

Jay and Michelle said...

I've made something similar to this before. Try dumpling wrappers next time - they're quite a bit thicker and are a bit more pasta-like. They're usually right beside the wonton wrappers in the grocery store.
- Michelle