Thursday, February 16, 2012

We've got Sprouters!

On Tuesday, as if my day couldn't have gotten any better than the good news of a clean bill of health from my doctor, one of my leek seeds germinated! (Also, the bank was giving away free cupcakes!!!)

I examine my little newspaper pots of soil, sitting on the dresser in my baby's room, several times a day (probably every time I change Amelia's diaper) and my heart leapt with joy as I saw the teensy little bent neck of a seedling.


Today is Thursday and out of 20 pots, 7 have at least one seedling germinating in them. So I made the bold move and removed the plastic covering.

I am far from tech savvy.  I tried to insert an arrow using Paint and you can hardly see it. Anyway, there IS a sprout there, I swear.

I am really afraid of "damping off". The No Guff Vegetable Gardening book says that seedlings pre-germination need heat and humidity but once they germinate, they need light and no humidity.  I think this might have been my downfall in the past.  Remove the cover so the humid conditions that foster fungal growth and disease can't set in. Some folks even put a fan on their seedlings for several hours in the day. I don't think I'm quite that organized or that dedicated, but I am going to put a lamp on them for 10-12 hours a day. Keep those fingers (and green thumbs) crossed for me.

p.s. If these bad boys survive, the sky is the limit! I'm going to go for tomatoes and broccoli too!

p.p.s. By afternoon, 11 of the pots were showing germination.  It's amazing.  The seedlings have grown since this morning.

~Miss Greenish Thumb~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations! I for one am impressed... I've never even attempted seedlings indoors. Thanks for the update & nice to see it can be done!

B