Friday, April 27, 2012

My Garden to Yours: April Angst

 Here is my freshly tilled and newly expanded garden, begging me every day to be seeded. The calendar days tick by since I announced that peas could be planted and yet my plot sits barren.

The thing is, I know I can't plant anything until I get my fence up.

And if I ever gave anyone the impression that I love to garden, what I meant was, I love to throw seeds into the ground and sit back and watch the miracle unfold.  I once heard someone refer to the receptionists at our school as Champions of Logistics.  What a great term!  And whatever the opposite of Champions of Logistics is, that's me.

(My last set of seedlings, I didn't even bother to label.  So now I have thirty six seedlings growing, of various varieties of lord knows what! Oh, if only I had paid a bit more attention to detail.)

 So when I began to feel the crunch to get planting, I thought I'd better put up my fence, but do it right! 
I came up with a brilliant plan.
I was going to set bricks on the portion of grass around the garden that is untilled, therefore flat.  That way the bricks will be straight. (I am not the kind of person who can make bricks straight to begin with so anything playing in my favour is great). I was going to lay the bricks on black weed-preventing cloth to keep the grass from growing up into my garden and also lay the edge of the fence under the brick, anchoring it with metal tent pegs.  Then, when I was done, I would fold up the fence, secure it with wooden stakes and add the gate I saved from last year.


See, I even used a 2x4 to straighten the bricks. 

The whole job when quickly!  I finished all but the last ten feet of border in less than an hour.  (I hadn't bought the remaining ten feet of bricks yet). 

Then my neighbour came over and chatted with me about how my bricks weren't actually being held in place in any way.  I dismissed him with a wave non-chalantly saying I didn't care.

Then my husband noticed the same thing and tried to broach the subject gently.
Poor him.
I am very emotional about gardening.
I am also very emotional about trying to make stupid straight lines out of bricks! I think I lack the ability.  I'd even go so far as to say it might be part of my genetic make-up.

Anyway, after the kids went to bed, I went outside and pulled up all my bricks (not hard to do considering they weren't anchored at all) and I sunk them into the tilled part of the garden about a centimetre and then pushed dirt up all around them to give the impression of them being anchored.

I stopped after an hour of back-breaking work (my second hour at the same task), with sweat dripping down my forehead.  And I realized that my border looked like a jack-o-lantern's smile.
It was crooked side to side. It was crooked up and down. It zigged and zagged in all three dimensions.
Every part of me wanted to just grow plants to cover it.

I had to walk away.
Walk away from the garden I love and the garden I was really hating at that moment.

After some deliberation, Mark thinks he can fix the bricks and align them properly if we just buy a sledge hammer.  I'm not sure what he has in mind, but I am happy to give up the making-things-straight portion of this gardening adventure to someone else's capable hands.

Things I learned:
1. Plastic chicken wire is way better to work with than metal chicken wire.
2. Everyone's version of good-enough is different.
3. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
4. Sometimes you just need to put down the rubber mallet and walk away for a while.

~Miss Greenish Thumb~

My Garden to Yours:

*We love to share the joy our gardens and our gardening adventures bring to our lives. We'd love this blog to be a place where you can share your gardening progress too. We want to know how your gardens grow!  If you want to share pictures or stories of your garden with us, link up on Fridays!*

No comments: