Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Harvest Happy: Kale


My first real leafy green harvest. 
I feel so accomplished.  


I also have some lettuce and swiss chard coming up and looking good.
What did I do with this little handful of kale, you ask?

I put it in this simple soup from the Earthbound Cook:

Nan's Tomato Rice Soup

3 pounds short ribs on the bone, untrimmed (I couldn't find any so I used stewing beef... a soup bone would have been better)
2 large yellow onions, cut in half through the stem end
4 ribs celery, including leaves
2 large cans tomato juice
1 cup long-grain white rice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Kale!!!!

Combine the beef, onions, celery, and tomato juice in a large stockpot.  Place the pot over medium-high heat, cover, and bring to a simmer.  reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender and falls off the bone, about 4 hours... the longer the better.  Let the soup cool.

Cook the rice in 2 cups of water. 

Skim off any fat that has risen to the surface and discard it.  The recipe now says to strain the soup through a colander but instead I pureed it with the hand blender.  This is also where I added the kale and pureed it in too.  Remove the meat from the bones and add it back to the soup. 

Reheat the soup.  Season with salt and pepper. 
~ Mary Mary

*Sow, tend, eat, repeat. This Wednesday feature highlights an edible plant we're excited about. It's a fun way to share what's in season as well as our vegetable gardening journeys. In addition to our own reaping, posts are about local farmers' market finds, using up random CSA items... and of course, we like to share yummy recipes. Link up on Wednesdays! *


No comments: