Friday, August 31, 2012

Canoe Ride with Grandpa Dave

I was really excited to take Cole canoeing for the first time.
We packed his lifejacket for our trip to Peterborough.
Dad took the canoe down off the canoe rack and took out the life jackets.
We got out the animal crackers to bribe my son into the canoe.
And he took one look at the canoe in the water and shook his head, uh-uh.
So Dad and I had a much needed father-daughter canoe ride.
Dad used to take us for canoe rides in Bancroft at the private neighbourhood lake.
He'd give us a small kayak oar to use. I love those memories.
And it was so wonderful to be back in a canoe with my dad.
Kokum, Cole, Amelia and Daddy watch from shore and eat animal crackers.

We saw a muskrat. Well, Dad saw one. And I tried very hard to see one.
And he showed me what cardinal flower looks like. And he pointed out joe pieweed. And we saw a falcon. And minnows jumping.
The canoe ride wasn't very long, maybe ten minutes, but Dad can teach a lot in ten minutes. 
When I was a kid, the words rolled off me a little more. Now I try hard to soak it all in. I want to be able to teach Cole and Amelia. I want to know as much about the world around me as my Dad. Why didn't I listen better as a kid?
~Miss Greenish Thumb~

No comments: