Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Growing Vegetables in the Snow


Miss Greenish Thumb gave me the book, The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener by Niki Jabbour for my birthday.  I sat down and looked through it yesterday evening while Ben chuckled to Talladega Nights beside me on the couch.

I must say - this book blew my mind!  It got me thinking about vegetable gardening in a way I never have before.  It’s packed full of photos of winter vegetable gardens, and by winter, I mean covered in snow… harvesting vegetables throughout the year, even in the winter… harvesting on the dark side of the spring and fall frosts!  What?!

I said to Ben, "I can’t even seem to successfully plant a summer garden yet… I don’t know if I should be venturing into this realm."  He said, "I bet it’s easier..."  Wouldn’t you know, that’s what Niki said!  You don’t have to water in the winter, there are less pests to worry about, less weeds… oh man, this is craziness. 

Niki provides information about cooler weather and cold weather plants.  A couple pages are devoted to each vegetable or fruit (melon is there) that she highlights and she includes techniques and timing tips for each. 

Also, she gives instructions for building cold frames and hoop tunnels to protect plants in the winter.  I must note that she says a couple things things that make me hesitant.  For example, that carrots and asparagus are easy to grow.  Okay, I can’t even get my basic tomatoes and beans to produce in abundance and I’ve generally seen carrots and asparagus as challenging vegetables.  Would this kind of gardening be way out of my league?  At the same time, she’s in Nova Scotia, which I know can be cold and unpredictable.  It’s not an easy climate so I’m thinking she’s somewhat relatable. 

Overall, I’m not sold yet… but thinking seriously about trying out some lettuce and spinach into the fall.   

- Mary Mary

2 comments:

Syl said...

I would LOVE to try this! So cool! (haha, pun intended!)

Sylvie

Anonymous said...

wow, this would be crazy. But I love the idea... you wouldn't lose much by trying, and could potentially gain incredible gardener status by being successful... I vote for trying it :) xo B