Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Landfills

Isaac, playing in his Grandpa's garden


I’ve been thinking lately about landfills.

Over the past four or five years, our friends, Cat and Nat, have transformed their lifestyle into one that is quite organic.  They strive to make decisions that are healthy for their children and also healthy for the environment.  Although they live this way, they’re good at sharing how they live but not speaking in a judgemental sort of way.  For this reason, I like chatting with them about products they use and choices they make. 

They visited Ottawa recently (they live in Vancouver) and Catand I had a nice chat on our back steps while our three boys played together in the sand and water.  Among other things, I asked her about their recent kitchen renovation and she told me all about the products they used. 

I’ve been thinking about one thing she mentioned.  She said, “It seems like not many people think about this, but I like to consider what won’t be in a landfill for years and years down the road.”

I don’t know about others, but it’s true this isn’t at the top of my mind.  Most of the time when I choose organic or more natural products, I’m thinking of my son’s health or my family’s health.  I know about decomposition, I’m familiar with the “forever in a landfill” commercials, and I understand that “seventh generation” thinking, but in my own decision-making, it’s not a priority. 
But Catherine got me thinking about landfills and how my own choices send products there for generations and generations.   

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children." – Chief Seattle

- Mary Mary

No comments: