Thursday, August 9, 2012

Laporte Nursery

For my birthday yesterday, Ben gave me a gift card to Laporte Nursery and we headed over there for a morning outing with Isaac in tow.  A few people recommended Laporte to us and it did not disappoint.  I brought my camera to gather ideas for later purchases. 

They provided nice inspiration for big potted arrangements:



That center plant looked like corn (?).



I like the idea of making an arrangement in a big barrel, like this:





I also liked these pots:



And these hanging baskets:

 


Our front garden right now is too green, too crowded, and doesn't work for all seasons.  We're going to re-work it this fall or spring by making it wider and adding a few bigger shrubs.  We were both drawn to plants that were yellow, white or red-leafed: 

Barberry (it's prickly)
 

Licorice plant

Smoke tree (I didn't know it came with yellow leaves as well as the red)

Calamagrostis
Sandcherry (I like this white variety)
You all know I like ornamental grass.  Laporte had many different kinds:


I liked the look of this trellis for my morning glories and wondered if I could make something similar with our grapevines:


And finally, we overheard a conversation about japanese beetles.  Apparently, it's the worst season in our area ever.  And the store guy was saying they were also seeing the effects of the infestation at the nursery.  I guess we're not the only ones and that felt comforting.

Can't wait for my next visit!  I might actually make a purchase!

- Mary Mary





2 comments:

Kunky said...

Fun Birthday gift! Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a great day! And happy birthday to Ben too!

Rachelle said...

Happy Birthday Mary! And Ben, as I see from the above comment. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun redesigning your garden with the help of that giftcard. :)