Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Snow Garden

It rained all day Saturday so the fence gate didn't get hung.  I was determined to plant my spinach, lettuce, beets and carrot seeds late in the afternoon when the rain stopped.

Edem (our friend from Ghana - she lives with us) came upstairs as I was putting my shoes on and asked what I was doing.  I told her and she replied, "Oh yah... I don't know about your snow garden."  I had explained to her about Niki Jabbour and her year-round gardening.  She thinks it's craziness but very typical of me.

We chuckled and I ran outside.

I realize it's pretty late to get these last seeds in, especially for the carrots and beets.  But why not give it a try... at the least I'll learn something and improve on it next year.  Even to learn how to extend my growing season a bit longer into the fall and to start out a bit earlier in the spring... that would be so cool.

I cleared a couple little patches (about 2' x 6' total) in the wet soil... pulled out the crab grass, worked the clumps through with my little spade... then in went the seeds.   


My plan is to build some sort of mini hoop tunnel and then put a row cover (some sort of fabric sheet) on it in early October then a layer of plastic over that in mid-November (that is, if anything's growing).  Pretty much like a mini greenhouse. 

I still need to look into the best way to make the hoop tunnel and the best material for a row cover or if I should just buy a hoop tunnel kit and a row cover from a garden center.

I cleaned up and glanced at the clock as I came inside.  Overall, this little bit of fun took half an hour total.  And just as I went upstairs to see what Ben and Isaac were up to, it started to pour down rain once again.  Perfect timing.   

I'll keep you posted... good or bad, success or fail... we'll see.

- Mary Mary

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Nothing ventured nothing gained! That's what I love about you, Mary Mary. You are never afraid to try. I am keen to learn as you go.
Miss Greenish Thumb

Rachelle said...

It will be interesting to see how this turns out! I have some extra plastic hoops and white row cover that we use at the farm that I'd be happy to share. :)

Mary said...

Thanks so much Rachelle. I'll keep that in mind. I'll just wait to make sure my lettuce, spinach, beets and carrots actually grow, then I'll get in touch with you!
Maryann

katevp-a said...

oh I can just imagine Edem saying "snow garden".