Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tomatoes

 I went to the Farmer's Market today.
My impulse buy was the biggest basket of tomatoes I've ever seen. It was a basket of seconds and it was only $5.
And this girl can't turn down a deal, so suddenly I found myself staring at a sink full of tomatoes.
 I made an assembly line.
I put a big pot of boiling water on the stove and got some of my biggest bowls out.
 My assembly line moved in one minute increments.
I'd wash the tomatoes and slice an X in their bottoms. I'd do as many as I could in a minute. Then I'd drop them into the boiling water and set the kitchen timer. As I waited, I'd get the next batch ready.
 As the tomatoes finished their one-minute par-broil in the hot water, I'd scoop them into a sink of cold water.
 Then I pulled their skins off and sliced their tops off.
 I'd dig into each segment with my fingers and scoop out the seeds. Then throw what you see left here into the last pot.

The last pot waited for my husband who turned it into sauce.

We froze the sauce in batches because after all of this, I didn't have the energy to imagine converting my kitchen into a canning factory.
 
~Miss Greenish Thumb~

No comments: