Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like CHRISTMAS.... Almond Crescents

It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas - Baking Almond Crescents

I remember years ago when my friend Carolyn and I would take a half-day each fall and bake ourselves into a Christmas cookie frenzie. As I rifled through my hand-written recipes today, I came across one she'd copied from her mother. I smiled because I remember how we had to search high and low for ground walnuts or ground almonds.
 Back in those days, I didn't have the luxury of an electric mixer.
 If you're like me and you automatically toss the sifter into the wet sink of dirty dishes after sifting the flour only to realize you need it for the icing sugar..... you can use a loose-leaf tea ball. Carolyn taught me this trick!
I felt very clever for remembering to sprinkle the cookies with icing sugar before they went into the oven.  Then the icing sugar disappeared as they cooked. I realized I was supposed to sprinkle them with icing sugar after they came out of the oven and cooled.
 
My vision was to become a cookie-baking factory this fall. I aimed to cook hundreds of at least six types of cookies and to decorate them in a beautiful way and to distribute cute little boxes of assorted cookies to neighbours. After this batch of almond "crescents" (that looked like perogies), I realized a few things. I don't have the flair or the patience for beautiful cookie decor. And I don't have the energy to make that many cookies. 
 
Here's Carolyn's Mom's
Walnut/Almond Crescent Recipe
 
1 cup ground walnuts or ground almonds
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
icing sugar to cover **after they're cooked**
 
Directions:
Whip butter and sugar
Add vanilla
Add ground walnuts or almonds
Roll in your hand to form a crescent
Cook at 325 C until slightly golden (I cooked them at 350 C for about 15 minutes)
 
~Miss Greenish Thumb~

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think there must be some salt in that recipe somewhere....