Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Soup

Edem's favourite quote during pumpkin week was when I explained to her: "I followed the recipe... I just changed everything."  This is my cooking style, I guess.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a flop.

I made pumpkin soup the day after our pumpkin puree party.  I mainly used a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook recipe for spicy pumpkin soup with shrimp (I didn't include the shrimp).  This is sort of how it went:
  • 2 medium onions, sliced
  • 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
  • a handful of snipped fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoonsg rated fresh ginger
  • 2 clovesgarlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • 2 tablespoonsmargarine or butter
  • 4 cups of water with a chicken stock cube
  • 3 cups of pureed pumpkin                                          
  • 1 cup milk
  • Sour cream (optional)
Directions

1. In a covered large saucepan cook the onions, carrots, cilantro, ginger, garlic, and allspice in hot margarine for 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring once or twice.
 
2. Transfer the mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl. Add 1/2 cup of water. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth.
 
3. In the same saucepan combine pumpkin, milk, and remaining water and broth. Stir in the blended vegetable mixture; heat through.  Top each serving with sour cream.

- Mary Mary

No comments: