Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spring Setbacks

I rolled newspaper pots and bought potting soil. I planted broccoli, cauliflower, lemon zucchini and an assortment of hot peppers. I felt envigorated and brave. Energized by the promise of a new growing season.

And since we don't have a lot of space in sunny windowsills where curious hands won't poke and pinch tiny stalks, I put my two flats of seeds in the basement. I watered them every two or three days and really tried to avoid over-watering. The cauliflower germinated.

Then I was crouched over examining my little seedlings yesterday and I realized they smelled musty. Upon closer inspection, the outside of all of the newspaper pots was covered in white fuzz.
Mould!
Gross!

I dumped them all into my garden and turned the soil over with a spade.
I am saddened at the failure. Saddened at the loss of time. Saddened at the waste of seeds.
I am also disheartened at the slowing of my momentum.

But then a colleague came to me and announced she planted her spinach last weekend. And her peas!
I smiled. Alright then! There may still be snow in Ottawa, but Miss Greenish Thumb is going to put up new fencing this weekend and plant some peas in Burlington.

And maybe try one more time to plant some pepper seeds.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I hear ya, I had the same issue when I used old toilet paper rolls to plant in one year. Very moldy.
From now on I stick to plastic like old yogurt containers etc!

katevp-a said...

How dare you mention our snow! ;)

we're getting there, hopefully this week of rain will remove it entirely!

our neighbour's lawn still has about 3 feet of snow.
ridiculous.